Balancing Monsters

Balancing Monsters

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lint? Huh? Oh, Lent you say.

Happy late Fat Tuesday my friends! It's nearly Ash Wednesday already too. So the real question is, are you giving anything up for Lent?

It took me a good while to figure out what I'm giving up for more than a month. The things I'd really like to give up like doing laundry and scrubbing the bathrooms aren't really an option, so I had to give up something that I actually enjoy doing. I usually give up some kind of food that I can't get enough of. It usually consisted of a blanket "no fast food" pledge that I'd break within two weeks. Since I'm already on a diet, I've decided not to cut out anything else on top of what I am already trying to avoid.

When it came down to it, I decided to somehow curb my shopping habits. I thought about the places where I spend money the most. I came up with Target and Online (Amazon.com/SlickDeals.net). Target is a big one for me, because I never actually NEED anything there. I never think to myself "Oh man I need to get such and such, I'll go to Target." It's more like "Oh man, I need to kill an hour, let's see how much damage I can do at Target." I could completely live without going into that dreadfully awesome place, even though it might sting just a bit in my heart every time I drive by. As for my online shopping habits, that's a completely different kind of impulse. Online shopping is SO easy! You don't waste gas, you can find anything you'd ever want (want, not need), and it's all just a few clicks away! Just tonight, I bought a 48 pack of dried fruit just because it was a good price. Did I need it? Heck no! Could I have used that money in much better ways? Heck yes!

So there it is... Giving up Target AND Online Shopping. I'm doing my farewell to Target once I return a couple of things I purchased last week. A tear might be shed folks, so wish me luck. As for online shopping, I promise to buy nothing online EXCEPT for diapers. I purchased a few boxes in advance of Lent, so I don't think I'll actually have to buy any before Lent is up.

What are you going to give up for Lent if anything at all?

1 comment: